Happy New Year! What are your GME resolutions for 2014? We’ve come up with a few that will start you off on the right track:
1. Update ADS when something changes. We know – it is easier said than done – but if you make it a habit to update ADS each time you obtain information that is relevant to your program and required in NAS, you will be one step ahead of the game when it comes time for your annual program update.
2. Visit the ACGME web site at least once a week. Schedule 5-10 minutes each week to check the ACGME web site AND your RRC pages to see if anything has been updated or added. NAS is still in flux and changes are occurring rapidly. Share any relevant information with your program director, faculty and residents.
3. Document everything that you do for your program. Start an electronic file where you can simply list any updates, changes and successes for your program. It is difficult to remember what happened and when – create a time line for your program so you know what you tried and what the results were. You will find this helpful when preparing reports or training new program personnel.
4. Resolve to meet deadlines imposed by the ACGME, NRMP, GME Office and others. Missing deadlines slows the process for you, your residents and the program.
5. Learn something new! GME is continually changing and we know ACGME is continually updating systems and processes. Make it a point to explore an area of GME that you do not know much about or have wanted to learn more about. Ask questions, read all you can, and seek out learning opportunities.